Top 10 things I loved about being pregnant!
I absolutely loved being pregnant. I would try for a third, but there is usually a baby at the end of those nine to 10 months and well, to be honest, two is about all that I can handle at the moment. As the editor/co-founder of Oh Baby! Magazine I think a lot about pregnancy and here are the top 10 things that I loved about being pregnant:
1. Showing off my belly. I strutted my stuff daily. Tight t-shirts, bikinis on the beach, and not to mention the comfort of stretchy waistbands. It was amazing not to have a muffin top.
2. Feeling my baby move was one of the best feelings ever. From little somersaults to sharp kicks. They were all such a miracle and I loved every movement I felt.
3. My nails! They were so strong and didn’t chip once during my pregnancies.
4. The food that I ate without feeling guilty. Nutritionists out there reading this might be shaking their heads right now, but my mom always told me not to ignore my cravings. So even though I ate a healthy diet I really enjoyed chocolate chip cookies dipped in full fat milk — regularly.
5. The not-so-secret feeling that I was creating life. The inner glow that came with that is indescribable. What a big job that was, and what an honour that I was chosen, willing and able to do it.
6. I enjoyed the attention I received. I really like talking to strangers and this really opened up a lot of doors for me. I also had a lot of fun with it. You might think I’m mean but one time a woman asked me if I was having a boy or a girl and I (with the most serious face ever) said to her, “What are you talking about? I’m not pregnant.” She was mortified and I quickly smiled and put her out of her misery. I gave her a hug and let her touch my belly. It was fun.
7. I thoroughly enjoyed prenatal yoga. It was really nice to do something so peaceful with my baby belly. It helped me make a real connection with my mind, body, baby and spirit.
8. I loved being self-employed during my pregnancies. It was so luxurious to be able to have a nap at my desk. Really. Sometimes I was just so tired (it’s hard work making a baby!) that I would just shut my office door and snooze for a little bit. Strangely enough this doesn’t happen now and I’m probably more tired now, but you know, pregnancy let’s you get away with a lot.
9. Which brings me to my next point: Pregnancy let’s you get away with a lot. That’s self explanatory. If you say you’re tired, everyone believes you and they let you rest. You basically rule the school. At least in my house. I say milk it, in the nicest possible way.
10. And how could I forget: not menstruating. No visits from Aunt Flow. FREEDOM! I breastfed as well, and I am so grateful to be one of the lucky ones who doesn’t menstruate while breastfeeding. Really. I went over two years without my period. Heaven.
Pregnancy was amazing for me. Both times. Sure I had some uncomfortable moments, nausea, back pain, bladder issues, it wasn’t all roses, but overall being pregnant is right at the top of my list of the most amazing things to happen in my life.
Did you love pregnancy? What did you love about it?