Temper Tantrum Triggers
Since writing my recent blog on having ‘Threenagers‘ in our house, I’ve heard from a lot…and I mean A LOT of my parent friends who are going through the exact same thing.
The consensus seems to be that the most random of things can set these kids off. The struggle is REAL and there’s no predicting when, where or why it will happen.
Last week was a doozy in our household. It seemed as though there was a meltdown every second day. So I decided to compile a list of some of the things that trigger a ‘threenager’ tantrum in our house.
Be warned, they make no sense but to them, they cause them enough frustration to warrant a full blow 90 minute meltdown over something as simple as which underpants to wear.
1) The wrong colour socks.
2) Socks are twisted when pulled on.
3) Wrong colour underpants.
4) Underpants feel wet (even when they’re not).
5) Pants are too tight.
6) Pants are the wrong colour.
7) Pants are scratchy.
8) Fingers feel sticky.
9) Not understanding how to use new paint set.
10) Running out of stickers.
11) Not liking the stickers they’ve been given.
12) Not wanting to watch a show her sister wants to watch.
13) Wanting to watch more of that same show.
14) Not wanting to put on snow pants.
15) Not wanting to put on boots.
16) Not wanting to put on jackets.
17) Not wanting to get in the stroller.
18) Not wanting to walk and would rather be in the stroller.
19) Which book to read.
20) Who will read the book.
21) I want that toy.
22) I don’t want that toy.
I’m sure there are many more…and if not there will be. It’s definitely keeping us on our toes.
Not only are we trying to figure out when a tantrum is brewing, but we are also trying to figure out how to diffuse the situation once it occurs. We’ve learned pretty fast that while one method may work for one twin, it only heightens it for the other.