You’d think that when you’re packing up to go away during the summertime that would mean less packing. I mean, you’re wearing less and lighter clothing so you’d think that would mean less luggage.
Well in our house that’s definitely not the case!
When I was younger and kid-less I took for granted just how easy and fast it was to pack up and get out the door.
Now, with my stuff, my hubby’s things, our dog and twin toddlers the list goes as follows:
- enough clothing for everyday we are away for all of us, plus one extra outfit (just in case)
- two sets of bathing suits and beach towels
- puddle jumper life jackets for swimming
- life jackets approved for the boat
- hats, sunglasses and sunscreen for everyone
- rain jackets
- blankies, teddies and their current favourite toy
- portable DVD player and selection of movies
- travel potty
- food for us and the dog and drinks
- sleeping bags and pillows
- crib rail
- air pump and blow up water toys
My hubby says we don’t need all the stuff that I insist we pack. And to be honest, he’s probably right. But something in me just won’t let us leave it at home…just in case.
Take the travel potty for example. We actually have a kids potty at the cottage, yet, out of habit, I toss it in the backseat of the car.
Or the extra water toys. Our family has owned the cottage for more than 40 years so yes, there’s plenty of other toys up there already.
You’re probably thinking, “What kind of vehicle does she have to fit ALL of that stuff?” (Keep in mind our dog is an 85 lb golden retriever).
Well, I will be the first one to admit that I should’ve listened to my husband back before we bought our current crossover vehicle. He wanted a van, I said no way…that was before we became parents… And to twins at that!
So we have a ‘back rack’ that attached to trailer hitch and my hubby has perfected packing it up for longer trips that include the items listed above.
A van will definitely be our next vehicle but for now we make it work. And who knows, I might actually be tempted to pack even more unnecessary stuff if we have more room in a minivan. My husband will be thrilled lol.