Benefits of Breastfeeding
We’ve all heard how beneficial breastfeeding is to both mommy and baby. Here are some interesting facts:
Did you know?
- Breast milk has natural antibiotic qualities, and many mothers swear that a squirt in the irritated/infected eye of their baby has helped to clear it up.
- During the first half of the 20th century, when not breastfeeding their babies, moms made their own â€˜formula’ with evaporated milk, water and table sugar or corn syrup.
- Breastfeeding burns about 500 calories per day.
- Breastfeeding reduces your chances of developing breast and ovarian cancer.
- The more the mother nurses her baby, or pumps, the more milk is produced.
- There is no such thing as “weak” breast milk. Your body uses the exact ingredients necessary to meet your baby’s requirements at every feeding.
- Breast milk is always the right temperature!
- Breastfeeding releases Oxytocin – also known as the “love hormone” – which promotes bonding and helps both mom and baby to relax.