Did you know that your baby does not have to eat rice cereal as a first food?
Baby’s first taste of solid food should be a single ingredient, age appropriate food. A couple of wonderful choices for first foods for babies, as many pediatric resources are now acknowledging are tasty and creamy avocados and bananas. These healthy and nutritious foods make really great first foods for baby because they are easy to digest and full of vitamins, minerals, fats and other nutrients a growing baby needs.
Nutritious and Tasty & Wholesome Baby Food for First Food Feedings
Avocado is a great first food for baby, avocados burst with essential fats and nutrients that a growing baby needs. Smooth and creamy, avocados are easily digested and well tolerated by most babies!
Vitamins: A, C, Niacin, Folate
Minerals: Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, Magnesium, Calcium
1. Peel and take out the pit of a ripe avocado – do not cook
2. Cut “meat” out and mash with a fork
3. There should be no need to use a machine as just like bananas, avocados have a very soft consistency and texture. Avocados do not need to be cooked
4. Add formula/breast milk or water to thin or add cereal (if desired) to thicken up
Bananas are another great first food for your baby. Research indicates that bananas and their mucosal properties actually help coat the tummy and help aid in digestion. Bananas are sweet, which may help baby more readily accept the first food experience. Learn more about bananas and if it’s true that sweet fruits and veggies should not be introduced first.
Vitamins: A, C, Folate
Minerals: Potassium, Phosphorus, Selenium, Magnesium, Calcium
1. Peel a ripe banana – do not cook
2. Place banana in a food processor/food mill or blender and puree
3. You can also mash the banana in a bowl using a regular fork – heat in microwave for 25 seconds prior to mashing for extra softness
4. Add formula/breast milk or water to thin or add cereal