Benefits of Breastfeeding
We’ve all heard how beneficial breastfeeding is to both mommy and baby. Here are some interesting facts:
Did you know?
1. Breast milk has natural antibiotic qualities, and many mothers swear that a squirt in the irritated/infected eye of their baby has helped to clear it up.
2. During the first half of the 20th century, when not breastfeeding their babies, moms made their own â€˜formula’ with evaporated milk, water and table sugar or corn syrup.
3. Breastfeeding burns about 500 calories per day.
4. Breastfeeding reduces your chances of developing breast and ovarian cancer.
5. The more the mother nurses her baby, or pumps, the more milk is produced.
6. There is no such thing as “weak” breast milk. Your body uses the exact ingredients necessary to meet your baby’s requirements at every feeding.
7. Breast milk is always the right temperature!
8. Breastfeeding releases Oxytocin – also known as the “love hormone” – which promotes bonding and helps both mom and baby to relax.