Five Reasons to Join a Moms & Tots Group
Joining a moms and tots group in your city is an excellent way to meet other moms to develop new friendships and support. Being a parent is certainly rewarding, but it can be challenging at times. Have you ever heard the saying “It takes a village to raise a child”? What if you are living in a city without family close by? What if you are the first in your circle of friends to have children? Joining a moms and tots group gives you the opportunity to develop your own “village” of support. Being a new mom of one little boy, I understand that it’s even difficult to find time to shower some days so you may be thinking “Should I really join a group now?” Here are a few reasons why joining a moms group could be beneficial to both you and your little one.
1) Develop new friendships: You may be the first of your friends to have a child or perhaps all of your friends had children years ago and are in a different stage of parenting. Maybe you’ve just moved to a new city and haven’t had an opportunity to meet any new friends yet. Perhaps you already have friends with children that you interact with on a regular basis — why not join a moms group so you can develop a friendship with someone who is new to the city? Joining a moms & tots group allows you to develop new friendships with moms in your area that have kids in the same age group. It’s always nice to have other moms around who are going through the same stages of parenting. Most new moms have so many questions about their new mommy role and a moms group would be an excellent place to learn from other moms that have gone (or are going through) the same things.
2) Interaction for your child: If you are a stay-at-home mom, you have the blessing of staying at home to bond and interact with your child. It is also a nice idea to provide your child with the opportunity to interact with children his own age and so he can start to develop social skills as he grows older.
3) Sample kid-friendly programs: A moms and tots group is an excellent way to try new activities with your child. Many companies are more than willing to provide a sample class to a moms and tots group in order to promote their business.
4) Celebrate together: Host a Halloween costume party, a Christmas craft activity, an Easter egg hunt, a Thanksgiving potluck, a mom’s night out — the list of possibilities goes on! There’s always a reason to celebrate and celebrating in a group is always a lot of fun. Being a parent is such a rewarding experience — share in the joy of raising children with other moms in your area.
5) A reason to get out of the house: Being home with your little one is comfortable but every once in a while it’s good to have a reason to get showered and out of the house. Spending time with your child is such a joy but don’t forget that you still need some time for interacting with other adults. What a better way to do this than sharing stories and laughter with your new mommy friends!
If you can’t locate a moms & tots group in your area, why not start your own? My website http://www.momsandmunchkins.ca provides many tips for how to start your own group. I also share ideas on guest demonstrations, guest speakers, activities and crafts. Joining a moms and tots group can be a really fun experience — a great reason to start today!
Cheryl Kirkness is a certified Project Management Professional and a blogger with a passion for event planning. She is a stay-at-home mom of one little boy and runs a moms & tots group in her city. She has developed a website http://www.momsandmunchkins.ca/ to share information on how to create your own mommy and me group along with a blog on activity & guest speaker ideas.