Celebrate Dad this Father’s Day
Father’s Day, or Daddy’s Day as I like to call it, isn’t all about presents. It’s about celebrating dad and letting him know you appreciate all of his hard work and dedication. This year, make Dad feel extra special – without wrapping up a present! Some of my very favorite Daddy’s Day memories don’t include traditional presents at all, but simple memories sharing love and gratitude with my family. Here are my top 5 suggestions that’ll help ensure Dad gets an extra special Daddy-friendly celebration this year:
1. BBQ Time: It’s a known fact that dads love to barbeque – a whole lot of them do, anyways! If the dad in your life loves to grill then I suggest planning an extra special Daddy’s Day barbeque complete with dad’s favorite foods, favorite beer and favorite people. You can leave the grilling to Dad, but make sure you take care of everything else! Family barbeques are great for bonding, laughter and lots of fun. Don’t have a yard or a barbeque? Don’t fret, check out local parks and find a great spot that will work for you. And make sure you pick up something for dessert to end the night “sweetly”!
2. Garage Makeover: Know a dad who loves his garage or “man cave”? This Daddy’s Day give his special hideout a makeover! It’s up to you whether you want to ask for Dad’s help or turn it into a surprise!! Make sure you frame a family photo and place it in just the right spot to show Dad you’re always by his side and you understand he might need a place to escape to from time to time! Kids can help their dads organize tools, get rid of old toys and help clean up a garage or “man cave” space that dad will love.
3. Daddy’s Day Out: If the dad in your life is always talking about a new restaurant he has been dying to try now’s your chance to take him out! Daddy’s Day Out should be entirely planned by you and your children ahead of time. Figure out what it is that Dad has wanted to do and just do it! Daddy’s Day Out will make Dad feel both loved and appreciated, while allowing him to enjoy some family time participating in an activity or visiting an establishment he’s been talking about for months.
4. Surprise! A good surprise goes a long way. If you have older children or family members you haven’t seen in a great deal of time, Daddy’s Day is the perfect day to get everyone together to surprise Dad! You can all meet at a specific destination or have someone get Dad out of the house for a few hours and throw the surprise party there. The efforts taken to gather loved ones will surely touch Dad’s heart and make memories he’ll reflect on often.
5. Adventure: Some dads love adventure! And Daddy’s Day is just the day to show the dad in your life just how adventurous you and your children are. Has Dad been talking about renting a boat and exploring a nearby lake or cove? Has he been hinting about his desires to take a camping trip? Whatever it may be, show Dad you appreciate his adventurous side and take a special family outing altogether! Make sure to think out of the box, be creative and don’t forget to plan the details.
No matter how you choose to show the dad in your life just how much he means to you, make sure he knows just that by the end of the day. Make time to express your favorite moment, tell him the top 10 reasons you’re happy he’s you’re dad or allow time for each family member to “toast” to Dad. So have fun and shower Dad in love and appreciation – he’ll be sure to remember the special day for the rest of his life.